Saturday, September 10, 2016

Envelope Zen

This past week my brother requested an envelope with a Buddhist vibe, Tibetan Buddhism no less, so I had to get access my chi and really pull something out of my hat.  I did this Tibetan mask on the front, and a Buddha image he liked on the back.  I've always liked the imagery that comes from the orient, especially the way they use their reds and blacks.  Here's how his envelope came out:
 
 
I had another buddy contact me from Iraq where he is currently stationed and wanted to get into the whole envelope illustrating gig for the letters he'll be sending to his family.  We spoke about a few ideas, and I promised him an envelope too.  Here it is...I know, Iraq, camels...pretty cliche, but I had fun knocking out this one, especially the bedouin on the back of the envelope.  Here's how they came out:
 
Both were done with pen and ink and gouache.