Sunday, September 25, 2016

Pondering the Motive

As can be seen from the most recent entries, I have really enjoyed decorating envelopes and sending them off to various people with letters to them contained therein.  Using one's talent to brighten the day of someone else is something that satisfies a deep need to be helpful and to be cogniscent of those around you....yet, over the past few weeks, I've had to ask myself whether or not the sending of the letters is for others, or simply for me.  It certainly gives me something new to post each week.  But am I missing out on the satisfaction that comes from doing good in stealth, without fanfare? And so, I've had to examine the motives, and be sure that it's about the receiver, not the giver.   Yet, I also enjoy posting art because I have gained so much from viewing the art of others, looking at their techniques and being inspired by their creativity.  The creation of art is really quite incomplete without the viewer, sharing it with others, because it requires, by its very nature, an audience greater than the creator.  This dilemma has been weighing on me, and I haven't posted what I've sent out for a couple of weeks.  I'm interested in your thoughts on the matter.     In the mean time, here's a couple more envelopes.  One that I gave with a gift to a true bibliophile in the family and another that I gave with a sympathy letter to friends that recently suffered a tragic loss.