Monday, January 29, 2018

As a hen gathereth...

 
Yesterday I learned that a neighbor has to face the challenge of losing his brother to suicide.  I was so very saddened for him and his family, and wished that I could somehow know exactly what to say.  But, I think the reality is that during those types of challenges, we should do more listening to the families affected thereby, instead of trying to dish out counsel. 
I painted them this small chick, and expressed my condolences, while sharing the comfort that I feel that comes from the gentle teaching of the Savior,
 
"Listen to the voice of Jesus Christ, your Redeemer, the Great I Am, whose arm of mercy hath atoned for your sins;
Who will gather his people even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, even as many as will hearken to my voice and humble themselves before me, and call upon me in mighty prayer." --D&C 29:1-2 
 
 I'm grateful that although I am as errant and do stumble around like a new chick, that there is one who is watching over, ready to gather, as I need it.
 
This is done in Gouache.