Saturday, October 13, 2007

Enjoying diversity...

hindu


I found this delightful photograph of a Hindu man and decided to do a little doodle. I loved the colorful turban. When painting the happy man, I thought a lot about religion, diversity, culture. Isn't it a sad commentary that we attack the things that we see as different...or even define our own beliefs based on what we see wrong in the beliefs of others...

I think Mohandas K. Gandhi deftly explained it best when he uttered:
"It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world. If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty."

10 comments:

Jenny said...

Beautiful. I love the colors and the way the eyes shine out.

It's sad that throughout history a lot of evil has been done in the name of religion. Idiotic.

Nina Johansson said...

Wonderful portraits, and wise words. I like the way you put in highlights where needed... is that gouache or a pen?

Shelly McC said...

gorgeous Indian themed portraits!

shirley said...

Wonderful painting! Great thoughts! Thanks for sharing.

Terry Banderas said...

Love your artwork. Makes me want to do more portraits in this style.

juj said...

Beautiful color, but the movement in this piece just blows me away!

Murph said...

Fantastic portrait
And Amen to your comments

BMoon said...

Exquisite....first time for me on your blog, and oh my, please don't make us wait too long for the next installments. Your talent is immense. Those pics of your sons are precious and so well done.

phthaloblu said...

I just love your portraits and this one is really eyecatching. The teeth! I have never been able to do teeth like that. Great work.

Rem0teMeth0d said...

I love your work. I have borrowed one this image to use it as my avatar. If you have any objections kindly let me know and I shall immediately discontinue using it.

I am following your blog from today and I would remain a follower even if you asked me to stop using your sketch.

Best Wishes!