Friday, March 06, 2009

My Friday Fiend

Many years ago I got on this kick of making papier mache masks. I remember wishing that I had a kiln so that I could do ceramic stuff, thinking it would be fun. Well, today I found some polymer clay that fires at a low enough temperature that you can do it in your oven. I made a tiny little head, and I'm hooked. I'll definitely be doing more stuff like this.... (my wife is upset that I put horns on the guy so the next one will have to be a guy singing in a choir, or paying tithing or something...)

devsculpt4


I took some pictures of the thing in my hand to show how small the little guy really is:


devsculpt3


devsculpt2


devsculpt

5 comments:

  1. This head is wonderful! I can't wait to see what else you will sculpt.... Can you share the information about this polymer clay on your website sometime? I think it might be fun to try - and to share as an art project with my crafty grand daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific face this little devil has - mind if I sketch him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shirley,
    It is a low fire, oven bake clay that you can get at any craft store called sculptey. It comes in lots of different colors. I used a flesh color and then painted with an acrylic wash. Very easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. This is unbelievable. The head looks great (with or without horns). Somehow it almost looks as if it is made from wax.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember the mask that blew up in your oven? Dude, That one was awesome!
    I love this little guy... reminds me of Screwtape.

    ReplyDelete