Sunday, October 17, 2021

A Project for my Grandmother

 Back in February, my mother asked me to consider painting something for her mom. She wanted something that was nature-focused and would help bring back memories of the her time spent in the woods before she became unable to camp and fish and enjoy the outdoors.  The challenge was that she wanted a specific size to fill in a spot on her living room wall.  I have largely painted small things because of the time needed to put in the detail, etc.  Consequently, this project ended up taking a lot of time.  Here are a few pictures of the process, starting first with pen and ink, and then moving into watercolor for the filling in.

I really liked how it came out, particularly the little details (see the small detail of the grass), but mostly I enjoyed the process knowing it would allow my grandma to look at it and reflect upon good days experienced in the past when she was able to be outdoors, listening to the crackling of a morning fire, sipping her warm drink with grandpa.